01332 340 211

Family Law Solicitors

Find a person by name
Or choose a department

Divorce and Family Law

Family solicitors to help you make the right choices

My team of experienced solicitors can advise you on all aspects of relationship breakdown, including the financial implications and arrangements for your children. My family team at Flint Bishop is one of the largest and most respected in the East Midlands.

By listening and understanding your individual and business needs, we give practical and pragmatic advice. We are supported by experts in other specialist areas; working closely with market leaders in wealth protection, trust and tax planning, corporate, commercial and employment.

Our aim is to empower you to make informed decisions. Where appropriate, we equip you with the knowledge and confidence to reach your own financial settlement and agree on child arrangements that work for you.

If court proceedings are necessary, our expert litigators will seek to secure the best outcome for you.

If you need help with your situation, contact me on 01332 226 174. I will have an initial confidential discussion with you to ensure you get the specialist advice that you need.

Reassurance that you are being helped by the best

If you listen to BBC Radio you might have heard me being interviewed, as we are regularly asked to give opinions on legal matters.

I have appeared in The Times newspaper regarding divorce and I also write legal articles for regional newspapers and magazines.

I am ‘Recommended’ by The Legal 500 which, is an annual publication listing the leading solicitors in the country.

If you would like to speak with someone today and arrange an initial consultation, please contact me on 01332 226 174.

How to address children disputes

It is natural for you to be worried about the effect your separation might have on your children. Please be assured that at Flint Bishop we put children first.

From the outset, we provide clear invaluable advice to pre-empt and hopefully prevent problems. We support and encourage you to try and agree on arrangements direct with your former partner, recommending other professionals who can offer emotional support and guidance.

If issues do arise, our expert child law solicitors have a wealth of experience in the following areas:

  • Child arrangements – previously known as residence and contact;
  • Specific Issues relating to a child’s education, medical treatment and religious upbringing;
  • Parental responsibility issues;
  • Relocation in England and Wales or overseas;
  • Grandparent’s rights; and
  • Financial and practical arrangements.
How to end a civil partnership

If you are in a same sex civil partnership but wish to end it, we can help you. Just as we have many others.

To end your civil partnership you will need to get a dissolution.You must have been in your civil partnership for at least 12 months and you must prove that it has irretrievably broken down.

Adultery cannot be used as the basis for your civil partnership dissolution. However, you can refer to adultery as an example of unreasonable behaviour.

In the same way, as married couples, you have the right to make financial claims against each other. Our family law solicitors can help you to decide how to proceed and guide you through the process.

Unmarried couples

There is no such thing as “common law husband” or “common law wife”. Living with your partner does not automatically give rights similar to those who marry, regardless of how long you have been together.

Often unravelling a couple’s financial relationship can be complex, particularly where resources have been pooled. As the law offers no automatic protection it is important that you seek advice:

  • When purchasing a property with your partner;
  • When your partner moves in to live with you or you with them;
  • When you and your partner have children; and
  • If your relationship breaks down.

We regularly draft, negotiate and advise on cohabitation agreements and separation agreements.

Divorce and separation

With the benefit of expert legal advice, your separation or divorce does not need to become a battle. We can help you to divorce quickly and amicably without huge legal bills and the need to attend court.

Kirpal Bidmead, Head of the Family Team, has written a free 30-page guide to assist you. It is written in a plain non-legal language and gives you answers to the most common questions we hear.

Financial Claims on divorce and dissolution

Our team have over 25 years of experience in this field, with a particular emphasis on the resolution of financial issues for wealthy individuals.

We successfully represent city professionals, entrepreneurs, farmers and their spouses or partners.

Whether your financial situation is simple or complex, we will provide commercially astute advice. Through effective negotiation, we can assist you to resolve issues involving partnerships, limited companies, inherited assets, pensions, property and trusts.

We work closely with leading accountants and expert counsel to achieve the best possible outcome for you.

How to legally change your name

We can prepare a legally binding change of name deed for you at a fixed fee of £120.

You simply need to have an initial chat with a member of the team and then attend a short meeting at our Derby or Ashbourne office for the deed to be witnessed.

At the meeting, we will provide you with certified copies of the deed so that you can update your details with work, banks and government bodies.

Wealth protection - pre and post nuptial agreements

You may believe that pre and post nuptial agreements are reserved for the rich and famous. However, to avoid the cost and stress of contested litigation, they are becoming much more commonplace.

Sadly, 49 % of all marriages end in divorce. We regard nuptial agreements as insurance policies; whilst it is hoped you will never need to use it, if you do, it will prove invaluable.

Although nuptial agreements are not automatically legally binding, if the agreement is well prepared it is likely to be upheld. We provide clear and objective advice to ensure that your agreement is fair and as far as possible enforceable.

Nuptial agreements can help to:

  • Provide clarity and certainty;
  • Protect and segregate family wealth and inheritance;
  • Preserve assets for the next generation; and
  • Ensure the needs of children from previous relationships are protected.
Occupation and non-molestation orders

If you or your family are suffering from domestic violence or being harassed or intimidated by a partner, we may be able to assist.

The court has the power to make protection orders if personal safety is threatened. You will be given confidential advice about the options available to you and we will provide details of counsellors, professionals and support networks to provide ongoing assistance to you and your family.


Need help from a family law solicitor now?

Then contact me on 01332 226 174. Or click here to send me an email.


Contact us


Name (required)

Phone Number (required)

Your Email (required)



Derby Head Office:
St. Michael’s Court
St. Michael’s Lane
Tel: 01332 340 211
Fax: 01332 207 601
DX: 729320 Derby 24

54, St. John Street
Tel: 01335 342 208
Fax: 01335 342 010
DX: 26834 Ashbourne

Opening Times:
Our offices are open Monday to
Friday between 8:00am & 6:00pm

Contact us