01332 340 211

Notices for Licensed Premises

Find a person by name
Or choose a department

Premises Licence Summary
This should be prominently displayed together with a notice advising who has control of the Premises Licence (usually the DPS).

Small measures notice
Customers should be made aware of the availability of half pints of beer or cider, that wine is available in 125ml glasses and that spirits are sold either in 25ml or 35ml single measures (never both).

Signage required as a condition of the Licence
Each Licence will vary but frequently a Licence requires premises to operate a Challenge 21 or Challenge 25 age verification policy and will require that Challenge notices are on display in the premises. Often conditions also require there to be notices advising customers to leave premises quietly. Sometimes notices are required to advise that the premises have a search policy etc.

Smoking notice
You must display in a prominent position an A3 size notice stating that it is illegal to sell tobacco products to anyone under the age of eighteen. You should also have at least one no smoking sign displayed.

Signs need to be displayed letting customers know they are in an area covered by CCTV. The sign should be visible and legible to members of the public and contain details of who operates the system, the purpose for using the CCTV and who to contact about it.

Company details
If the pub is run by a trading company then you must display the registered name at the location where it carries on its business, the notice needs to be legible and displayed where it can be easily seen.

Menus should include all material information which a customer needs to make an informed choice, including a description of the name, brand of the drink, the alcoholic strength and price inclusive of VAT.

Food Allergen Labelling
Allergen information about the fourteen most common foods known to cause allergic reactions should be supplied on menus, chalkboards or in other written formats.

Otherwise this information can be provided verbally but customers need to be advised at the point of sale that this is the case.

Health and Safety
If you employ staff then you need a notice in staff areas advising of health and safety laws, advising employees they need to know about health and safety and a health and safety policy statement should be displayed advising how you manage health and safety risks within the work place.

Employer’s Liability Insurance
If you are an employer you must display your employer’s liability insurance certificate on your premises for your employees to see. You may also choose to show you have public liability insurance just to show you have at least considered your customers welfare.

All commercial premises must display a fire action notice. You may also need fire exit signs and all fire exit doors must carry a fire door – keep shut sign. You will also need a fire extinguisher id sign and a fire alarm call point sign (if you have a fire alarm).

Food Hygiene rating stickers
These are mandatory in Northern Ireland and Wales and all food businesses there must publicly display their rating regardless of whether it is low or high. It is currently reported that by 2019 businesses selling or serving food in England will be forced to display their hygiene rating to customers although currently this is not mandatory in England and so often only pubs with good ratings tend to display it!

If there is any space left on your walls you could always display your PRS and PPL Licences although you are not required to do so. You may also care to display your Gaming Permit or Notification. A Permit enables three or more gaming machines to be used and must be kept on the premises and produced on request and a Notification will permit two category c and d machines to be used and whilst there is no requirement to display the Notice of Entitlement many authorities request that you do so.

< Back
All News >

Contact us


Name (required)

Phone Number (required)

Your Email (required)



Derby Head Office:
St. Michael’s Court
St. Michael’s Lane
Tel: 01332 340 211
Fax: 01332 207 601
DX: 729320 Derby 24

54, St. John Street
Tel: 01335 342 208
Fax: 01335 342 010
DX: 26834 Ashbourne

Opening Times:
Our offices are open Monday to
Friday between 8:00am & 6:00pm

Contact us