Emma is a ‘homegrown’ Employment Law and HR Partner, and also heads up the Firm’s Employment Tribunal litigation team. Emma trained with Flint Bishop and then qualified into the Employment Department, where her enjoyment and passion lay, before rapidly ascending through the ranks, being the firm’s youngest Associate Solicitor and then youngest current Partner.
Emma provides HR and Employment support on contentious and non-contentious matters to key clients, including Panasonic, Loomis and the Mortgage Advice Bureau. Emma has an especially strong reputation for her Employment Tribunal litigation, and has a well-renowned reputation for this within her peer group and also within the Tribunal Judiciary itself, with Regional Employment Judge Swann referring to her as a “competent and sensible litigator”.
Emma has a strong personal client following from clients in a wide range of different sectors including banking, manufacturing, security, service and care, and many of these clients have been personal wins for her. Emma has a reputation for quickly getting a handle on tough legal issues within often complex business environments, and delivering her advice in her own “no frills” fashion meaning that her clients get the technical advice of any top class city lawyer, but delivered simply and in a way that allows her clients to get on with their day job of running successful multi-million pound businesses, without being weighed down by employment law or HR issues.
Her friendly, pragmatic and commercial style, has led to great client feedback and helped her build long-lasting relationships with the firm’s key clients. By getting to know her clients and their business, Emma believes she is able to provide much more tailored and appropriate advice that fits the needs of that particular business. She has even been described by her clients as a “true partner” and “an honorary part of our team.” It is this that places Emma at the top of her field. This has been recognised by Emma being recommended by UK’s leading legal directory, The Legal 500 (most recently in October 2017), which confirmed that Emma is “popular with clients” and “responsive”. This is taken from direct client feedback.
Friendly and with an aptitude for thinking outside the box, she enjoys building lasting relationships with clients and working closely with them to meet their own individual commercial goals, within the constraints of the law.
How can Emma help?
Emma can help you with almost any employment or HR challenge that your business faces. For example she:
- is well placed to deal with large scale projects such as whole business re-organisations and complex TUPE transfers both in and out by providing advice on the options available with a can-do attitude, and also offer hand on assistance where required.
- has an almost unblemished record in defending Employment Tribunal claims for her clients, with a particular feel for this area where she is especially effective. She is able to advise on any Employment Tribunal claim your business may face from discrimination to unfair dismissal, whistleblowing to pay claims. She can deal with the most complex of cases by using her technical legal knowledge to break down the case and its issues simply for the ease of our clients. This ensures that you are then free to focus on the facts of the case and your instructions, rather than having to grapple with technical legal issues. The feedback we have received is that Emma’s plain English approach to Employment Tribunal Litigation coupled with her ability to “turn it on” when required has proven very effective.
- is the Firm’s lead on keeping up to date with recent employment law changes and as such has an advanced handle on recent updates of note, including holiday pay, employment status and family friendly rights.
- can assist in a more hand on way with your own HR meetings, such as for grievance, disciplinary and redundancy meetings. Many clients prefer to hand over the reins to Emma’s capable hands to free them up for decision making.
- can become your businesses’ very own “go to” person for any employment law or HR queries.
- Has a particularly good feel when negotiating the exit of employees from your business, particularly when a more outside the box method may be required.
- Successfully settling claims worth hundreds of thousands of pounds in a cost effective manner without the need for litigation, and allowing the multi-billion pound business to keep operating effectively.
- Successfully defending high end Employment Tribunal claims in a watertight fashion leaving no room for appeal.
- Advising on multi-billion pound business restructures, including acquisitions and mergers.
- Completing many in house HR processes leading to a satisfactory outcome for her clients, in the least hassle way for them.
- Being the “go to” for a number of top HR professionals in the country with their employment law and HR issues.
“I am positive that I would not have managed without Emma’s support and guidance. I can honestly say that on every occasion that I have called, she has called me or she has found her way to our office, often as short notice and she has never not had a smile in her voice or on her face. Her helpfulness and her continual support cannot be underestimated.”
Angela Quinn, HR Manager, Loomis UK Limited
“An internal review of the company’s HR management systems conducted two years ago by the senior management team highlighted some areas of weakness within its HR documentation which included employment contracts, staff handbooks, general operational templates and HR procedures. The review also highlighted weaknesses in the general level of support being provided at that time by its previous external HR support provider.
“HR needs pragmatic advice that balances the legal imperatives with commercial realities and requirements. Emma meets this need in full. Emma also combines this sound advice with a natural communication style that enables her to build highly effective relationships with our HR team”
Richard Mills, HR and EU Talent Management, Panasonic Europe Ltd.
“The real value Emma adds to our business is in her expertise & efficiency. Emma’s input allows us to run a comprehensive HR function by keeping us on the right track when it comes to the legal technicalities without having to hire a specialist member of staff. Above & beyond that, Emma is always willing to share best practice ideas and even experience from other sectors that are different to our own. It is fair to say that with Emma’s input, we are getting insight into a diverse range of scenarios & experience that ordinarily would not be open to us and this can only benefit us.
Quality of advice is equally important but Emma’s professional approach to this gives us absolute confidence.
"As well as the potential objective outcomes, Emma always takes account of the emotional side of things that can sometimes affect decisions or judgment & really does ‘get’ how we feel about things. It is a level of empathy that only comes from working with us and understanding our business & personalities.
This sort of understanding only comes from an individual with the right ‘can do’ & approachable sort of attitude; there has never been an occasion or scenario that I have felt unable to speak to Emma about. I always know that she will listen & understand first where we want to get to before offering her advice & opinion on how to get there. This is essential to us as without this sort of positivity we would simply not be inclined to even pick up the phone.”
John Brooks, Operations Director, Mortgage Advice Bureau
“Emma & the Flints team have been of great help to our business; commercially focused and easy to understand advice combined with a friendly approach. I would also recommend their training sessions, particularly the mock Employment Tribunal sessions for Line Managers & HR.”
Jayne Greenman, Director of HR, Arena Racing Corporation