Shirley Illston is a Senior Associate in the Wills, Probate, Tax and Trusts Department at Flint Bishop Solicitors.
Shirley is a Chartered Legal Executive, a fully accredited member of Solicitors for the Elderly and a Dementia Friend. Shirley has over 45 years’ experience in Private Client Work.
Shirley joined Flint Bishop in 1972 as a legal secretary and studied by correspondence course and qualified as an Associate of the Institute of Legal Executives in 1978. Shirley left the firm in 1980 to have her two daughters and returned to Flint Bishop in 1992. Shirley qualified as a Chartered Legal Executive in 2014 and was made an Associate of the firm in the same year, subsequently becoming a Senior Associate.
Shirley deals with wills, probates and intestacies, the court of protection applications and powers of attorney. Shirley specialises in managing the affairs of the elderly when they need assistance, which could be because they have gone into care, and she advises them on the funding rules and their entitlements. Shirley receives a lot of referrals from Social Services for people who are in hospital or care and have nobody to help them manage their finances.
How can Shirley help you?
- Wills, including living wills;
- Powers of Attorney;
- Estate and Succession planning;
- Estate administration;
- Elderly client issues;
- Residential and nursing home care and funding;
- Deputyship and other Court of Protection applications; and
- Mental capacity issues.
- Shirley helped an elderly, wealthy lady who was admitted to care to sort her finances, her home and put her affairs in order. Her assets were complex and Shirley had to search her house for her safe (which was found under the floor in an outhouse) and important documents. She had a holiday home on a beach and this had to be “found” as at the time Shirley had little information. Unfortunately, the lady died and Shirley then dealt with her estate which was valued at over £1 million.
- Advising clients when a power of attorney has been abused by the attorney.
- For many years Shirley supported a client who was disabled and bedridden and who lived at home on her own. She was very vulnerable and relied heavily on Shirley’s support.
- Shirley successfully dealt with an application for a presumption of death order under new legislation, the Presumption of Death Act 2013.
- Shirley is currently dealing with an intestate estate where there are over 120 beneficiaries, all of whom had to be traced and contacted.
“I cannot thank you enough for all the work you have done for me over the past years. My very best wishes to you for making me very happy”.
“Thank you for the kind considerate and professional way in which you dealt with Dad’s estate. It was a great help to have someone so approachable and sympathetic on whom we could rely to sort things out for us at a difficult time”.
“Whilst you were always very professional, you never lost the human touch and were always caring and approachable”.
“I appreciate the kind and professional way you handled mum’s estate. The calm and helpful way you dealt with things helped me more than you can imagine. Thank you”.
Contact Shirley IllstonDDI
: 01332 226 156Email