George is a Solicitor in the Licensing team. He qualified as a solicitor in September 2017 and joined Flint Bishop in November 2017. He completed his training contract at a licensing law firm so has specialised exclusively in Licensing and Regulatory law from the start of his career.
George works exclusively in the field of licensing dealing with applications for major and minor variation of premises licences, reviews and prosecutions.
Acting for a wide range of clients from individuals to operators with multiple sites including major pub chains, restaurants, clubs, hotels and late night operators, George has dealt with and represented clients at contested hearings. He has also dealt with complex applications in cumulative impact areas across England and Wales where there is a presumption to refuse such applications. George also advises on licensing applications in Scotland.
George advises clients on all aspects of licensing law, including applications for new Premises Licences, variations and reviews on behalf of both national and local independent operators of pubs, restaurants, clubs and hotels. George also has experience advising on various aspects of betting and gaming law, including Operating Licences, Premises Licences and compliance under the Gambling Act 2005.
Common licensing items George can help you with:
- Obtaining a new Premises Licence
- Varying your existing Premises Licence to extend the permitted hours for the sale of alcohol or any other changes
- Act on your behalf to defend a Premises Licence Review by the responsible authorities or local residents
- Carry out due diligence on licensed premises prior to your acquisition to see if there are any “hidden issues” which you would not be aware of otherwise and then if necessary deal with the transfer of the Premises Licence to you
- Obtaining pavement licences
- Apply for various gaming permissions to allow you to have gaming machines in your premises
- Attend and represent at a licensing hearing should representations have been received against your application and a hearing is necessary for the application to be determined
- Advising on licensing terms in leases/contracts
- Drafting policies
George is a member of the Institute of Licensing and holds the National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders and the Scottish Personal Licence Certificate.
“It has been a genuine pleasure dealing with George at Flint Bishop. His knowledge, advice and guidance made getting my premises licensed a smooth process from start to finish. I would recommend George to anyone looking to open licensed premises.”Anand Singh, Director & Operator, The Martini Club
"George provided us with an alcohol licence alteration for Chimes Café Ashbourne. His advice was prompt, intelligent and communicated in a way that was easy to understand. He was efficient in dealing with the council and chasing up queries. After the alteration was granted he was still happy to answer any questions we had. We would strongly recommend this professional and pleasant young man for a smooth operation."Rob James, Owner of Chimes Cafe