We have a dedicated team who specialise in defending employment tribunal claims for a number of different organisations including public and private businesses, education establishments and charities.
Our team has been praised by Employment Tribunal Judges and leading Barristers for the high quality of their work. They combine a detailed and tenacious approach to defending claims with a commercial view on the risks and costs of defending such claims.
Below, we set out information about our pricing for defending claims.
- Our costs for defending claims for wrongful dismissal range from £5,000.00 to £10,000.00 plus VAT.
- Our costs for defending claims for unfair dismissal range from £7,000.00 to £20,000.00 plus VAT.
Our usual hourly rates for such matters on a time spent basis are as set out in the table below:
||Price per hour
||£220.00 plus VAT
|Senior Associate (solicitor)
||£200.00 plus VAT
||£195.00 plus VAT
||£185.00 plus VAT
Factors that could make a case more complex:
- If it is necessary to make or defend applications, to amend claims or defence, or to provide further information about an existing claim.
- Defending claims that are brought by litigants in person.
- Complex preliminary issues, which may lead to the need for Preliminary Hearings.
- A large number of witnesses and documents.
- If the claim is one for automatic unfair dismissal e.g. the employee has brought a whistleblowing claim.
- If it is a constructive unfair dismissal claim that needs defending.
- Allegations of discrimination, which are linked to the dismissal.
There will be an additional charge for attending a tribunal hearing of between £1,250.00 and £2,500.00 plus VAT per day. Generally, we would allow between one and 10 days, depending on the complexity of your case.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees and barrister’s fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
The barrister’s fees for attending a tribunal hearing (including preparation) are estimated at between £1,500.00 and £3,000.00 plus VAT per day, depending on the experience of the barrister.
The key stages
The fees set out above cover all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits of the claim and likely compensation awarded if the claim is successful (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change).
- Entering into ACAS conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached.
- Preparing the response to the claim.
- Reviewing and advising on the claim.
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process.
- Considering a schedule of loss.
- Exchanging documents.
How long will my matter take?
The timescales involved in taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during ACAS conciliation, your case is likely to take between four and eight weeks to be disposed of. If your claim proceeds to a final hearing, your case is likely to take between 12 and 18 months. This is just an estimate and we will, of course, be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information and as the matter progresses.
For details of members of the team who may work on your matter please view our people page. The team is supervised by Louise Easthope.