Adjudication in the construction and engineering industry
Adjudication is a quick process for the temporary resolution of construction and engineering disputes. It is principally designed as a cash flow remedy for mid-project disputes and is generally used to recover payment.
We have extensive experience of this rapid 28-day process unique to the construction industry and have given legal advice to both referring parties and respondents. We are experienced in drafting complex submissions across all areas of dispute and appearing at hearings with or without the assistance of counsel as required.
Key facts about adjudication
- Provides a temporarily binding decision until finally determined by a Court or an arbitrator;
- Quicker than Court proceedings or arbitration – unless agreed otherwise an adjudication will be concluded with 35 days of Notice of Adjudication;
- Cheaper than Court proceedings or arbitration;
- Parties bear their own legal fees (win or lose) other than in exceptional circumstances;
- Adjudicator’s decision is not made available to the public; and
- Adjudicator’s decision can be enforced in the Technology and Construction Court using the ‘fast-track’ enforcement procedure.