01332 340 211

Grandparents’ rights

Most people would agree that grandparents are a very important part of children’s lives (and vice versa).

Research published in 2014 showed that 14% of grandparents (that’s around 1.9 million people) have reduced their working hours, given up a job or taken time off work to care for a grandchild. They can also provide a haven of normality and calm when their grandchildren’s parents are arguing, a fact which Courts do recognise.

Sadly, when relationships break down or a parent dies some grandparents lose touch with their grandchildren. A 2014 survey of teenagers and young adults aged 14 – 22 suggested that 1 in 5 (19%) completely lost contact with one or more of their grandparents after their parents separated.

Grandparents’ rights are not automatic and they do not have an automatic “right” to see their grandchildren. Grandparents who are denied the opportunity to spend time with their grandchildren are able to seek a Child Arrangements Order (CAO) from the Court.

However, they will be expected to have attempted to reach an agreement with the parents through mediation before applying to the court. If mediation fails for any reason an application can be made to the court.

The grandparents have to seek the permission of the Court to apply for a CAO governing arrangements for contact unless:

  • Their grandchild has lived with them for three years;
  • There is a CAO providing for the grandchild to live with them; or
  • They have the consent of all those who have Parental Responsibility for the child.

Whilst there is no presumption that a grandparents’ rights will get permission, most grandparents should be able to satisfy the Court that their substantive application for contact has merit and that they have both a blood relationship and an actual relationship with the child. The latter may be difficult to demonstrate where there is a very young child who hasn’t seen his or her grandparent for many months so it is important that grandparents do not delay their application.

Once permission has been granted, the Court will then go on to determine what contact, if any, the grandparents should enjoy. The Court has to consider ‘The Welfare Checklist’, which includes considering any risk to the child of the application disrupting the child’s life to such an extent that he or she would be harmed by it.

Whilst there is no presumption that contact with a grandparent is in a child’s best interests, the Courts do recognise the valuable contributions that grandparents make to a child’s life, but also have to take into account the adverse effect it can have on a child, if there is hostility between the grandparents and the parent with whom the child is living.

If you have any questions about Grandparents’ rights to see your grandchildren, please contact our Family team on 01332 226 176.

< Back
All News >


Contact us


If you have received a letter from our Debt Recovery team, please refer to the contact details provided in the letter to ensure your enquiry is dealt with promptly by the correct member of our team.

For all other enquiries, please complete the form below.

Derby Head Office:
St. Michael’s Court
St. Michael’s Lane
Tel: 01332 340 211
Fax: 01332 207 601
DX: 729320 Derby 24
SRA number: 509657

54, St. John Street
Tel: 01335 342 208
Fax: 01335 342 010
DX: 26834 Ashbourne
SRA number: 511804

Opening Times:
Our offices are open Monday to
Friday between 08:00 & 18:00

Contact us