We provide the complete commercial debt recovery service; from outsourced early arrears collections through to expert litigation, all handled in-house by a multi-award-winning law firm.


Visit our debt recovery website

If you are planning on hosting your own firework display at your premises, you need to ensure that you are compliant. To help you do that, we have provided answers to some of the most frequently asked questions related to Bonfire Night.

Do I need a licence or permit?

Unless you are using a professional fireworks display operator, you are restricted to using Category 1, 2 and 3 fireworks. Always check the label and instructions before purchasing your fireworks.

Do I need to seek permission?

Unless you are providing the fireworks on public land then no permission is required, however if you are leasing or renting a premises then it is worth checking your agreement to see whether there are any restrictions on holding such events.

Who is responsible for the fireworks?

The person organising the event will normally have responsibility. If the fireworks display is provided by professional fireworks display operator, then they will have joint-responsibility for the fireworks – along with the organiser.

Do I need insurance to hold a firework display?

Check your current Public Liability Insurance to see whether it covers you for firework displays. If not, then we would strongly recommend that you take out the appropriate insurance policy.

Is there a curfew on when I can use fireworks?

Usually, fireworks are allowed to be set off all year from 07:00 am until 11:00 pm. However, on Bonfire Night this is extended to midnight and on New Year’s Eve the cut-off is 01:00 am.

Are there any restrictions on where I can have alcohol?

If you are planning to have an outdoor bar, then it is imperative that this is placed as far away from the display site as possible. Remember – excessive consumption of alcohol and the use of fireworks doesn’t usually mix well.

Do I need to inform my neighbours?

There is no legal requirement for you to inform your neighbours, but we would highly recommend that you do this and provide as much warning to nearby residents as possible. Remember, there will be a lot of people with babies and furry friends that are sensitive to noises. By giving people enough warning, you are giving them time to prepare accordingly.

For further guidance on how to ensure a successful and safe festive period, read our recent article.

Please note that this information is for general guidance only and should not substitute professional legal advice. If you have specific concerns, we recommend consulting one of our legal experts.


Scroll to next section

Scroll back to the top