01332 340 211

Notices licensed premises should display

It is important that you understand what notices licensed premises should display to ensure that, as a licensed premise, you are complying with the conditions of your licence and ensuring the safety of your customers.

Premises Licence Summary

This should be prominently displayed together with a notice advising who has control of the Premises Licence (usually the DPS).

Small measures notice

Customers should be made aware of the availability of half pints of beer or cider, that wine is available in 125ml glasses and that spirits are sold either in 25ml or 35ml single measures (never both).

Signage required as a condition of the Licence

Each Licence will vary but frequently a Licence requires premises to operate a Challenge 21 or Challenge 25 age verification policy and will require that Challenge notices are on display in the premises. Often conditions also require notices advising customers to leave premises quietly. Sometimes notices are required to advise that the premises have a search policy etc.

Smoking notice

You must display in a prominent position an A3 size notice stating that it is illegal to sell tobacco products to anyone under the age of eighteen. You should also have at least one no smoking sign displayed.


Signs need to be displayed letting customers know they are in an area covered by CCTV. The sign should be visible and legible to members of the public and contain details of who operates the system, the purpose for using the CCTV and who to contact about it.

Company details

If the pub is run by a trading company then you must display the registered name at the location where it carries on its business, the notice needs to be legible and displayed where it can be easily seen.


Menus should include all material information which a customer needs to make an informed choice, including a description of the name, the brand of the drink, the alcoholic strength and price inclusive of VAT.

Food Allergen Labelling

Allergen information about the fourteen most common foods known to cause allergic reactions should be supplied on menus, chalkboards or in other written formats.

Otherwise, this information can be provided verbally but customers need to be advised at the point of sale that this is the case.

Health and Safety

If you employ staff then you need a notice in staff areas advising of health and safety laws, advising employees they need to know about health and safety and a health and safety policy statement should be displayed advising how you manage health and safety risks within the workplace.

Employer’s Liability Insurance

If you are an employer you must display your employer’s liability insurance certificate on your premises for your employees to see. You may also choose to show you have public liability insurance just to show you have at least considered your customers welfare.


All commercial premises must display a fire action notice. You may also need fire exit signs and all fire exit doors must carry a ‘Fire door: Keep shut’ sign. You will also need a fire extinguisher ID sign and a fire alarm call point sign (if you have a fire alarm).

Food Hygiene rating stickers

These are mandatory in Northern Ireland and Wales and all food businesses there must publicly display their rating regardless of whether it is low or high. It is currently reported that by 2019 businesses selling or serving food in England will be forced to display their hygiene rating to customers although currently this is not mandatory in England and so often only pubs with good ratings tend to display it!

Anything else?

If there is any space left on your walls you could always display your PRS and PPL Licences although you are not required to do so. You may also care to display your Gaming Permit or Notification. A Permit enables three or more gaming machines to be used and must be kept on the premises and produced on request and a Notification will permit two category c and d machines to be used and whilst there is no requirement to display the Notice of Entitlement many authorities request that you do so.

For examples of these and more, check out our Policies and Procedures Document Bank.

< Back
All News >


Contact us


If you have received a letter from our Debt Recovery team, please refer to the contact details provided in the letter to ensure your enquiry is dealt with promptly by the correct member of our team.

For all other enquiries, please complete the form below.

Derby Head Office:
St. Michael’s Court
St. Michael’s Lane
Tel: 01332 340 211
Fax: 01332 207 601
DX: 729320 Derby 24
SRA number: 509657

54, St. John Street
Tel: 01335 342 208
Fax: 01335 342 010
DX: 26834 Ashbourne
SRA number: 511804

Opening Times:
Our offices are open Monday to
Friday between 08:00 & 18:00

Contact us